Saturday, June 09, 2007

What's the Big Hype about Menopause?

All of a sudden everybody is talking about the “M” word. Everyday on somebody’s blog you can read about the symptoms or remedies or about someone’s personal “drama” in dealing with it. On Thursday an article on the subject was written in the New York Times by writer Elizabeth Hayt.

I was actually one of the people interviewed for the story. Yes, I’m the one who has no problem letting anybody, anywhere know when I’m having a hot flash. I’m not ashamed to say the “M” word---it’s called M-E-N-O-P-A-U-S-E. It’s another phase of a woman’s journey through life.

Since the article appeared some people have criticized, what they call, my “jovial, let’s celebrate hot flashes, mood swings and depression kind of attitude.” I just want to make one thing perfectly clear: Menopause is a fact of life. How you choose to deal with it is on you. I, personally, have no desire to sit and be miserable about the inevitable so I’m doing all I can to enjoy this journey.

Just like anything else in life, if you focus on the bad that’s all you’ll get in return but if you look at the positive, you’ll find there is light at the end of the long dark tunnel.

Life is what you make it so with that being said I’ll just say: “I’m still Hot…it just comes in Flashes now!” When you read my book, Whatever! A Baby Boomer’s Journey Into Middle Age, you’ll have a much clearer perspective on where I’m coming from.

In the meantime, enjoy this interview I did on WOR Radio with Ellis and
Lynne.

3 comments:

Carine-what's cooking? said...

I think what it is Bev, is that women are getting to a phase where they don't feel they have to hide what's going on. Like your darling hubby said in the NY Times article-when you say "I'm in menopause", he backs off. My husband, poor dears both of them, have no idea what this really means. As a force together though, we women are making sure someone finally hears us.

Bev Mahone said...

Carine,

I definitely see YOUR point. I think some people are treating it as though its some new phenomenon. I look at it as bringing something to the forefront---bring it out of the closet and deal with it instead of hiding out and feeling miserable.

Peace & Blessings,
Beverly

Carine-what's cooking? said...

I have been on both a menopausal and a steroidal tear lately, not a pretty sight, let me tell you.