Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Dogs and Cars

When I was a little girl, more than 40 years ago, I recall seeing dogs chase vehicles down the street. When I see that same scenario today, I don’t think much of it.

But when I see dogs sitting in their owner’s lap while the owner is trying to drive down the street or highway, I have to wonder: What in the world is wrong with this person?

On my way to Virginia this past weekend, I saw a number of dogs sitting in the laps of their owners while they were driving. Some dogs had their heads hanging out the window---while others were peering over or through the steering wheel as if they were helping to navigate the vehicle on the road.

What was even more disturbing is the people behind the wheel were baby boomers and older. I was trying to figure out what would possess someone, who needs to mindful of the road and conditions, to allow a dog to literally obstruct his and her view while driving down a busy highway.

Dogs are not meant for driving cars.

Maybe I’ve missed something but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a doggie seatbelt. Have you? As a matter of fact, I don’t think there’s a place for them inside a vehicle at all---unless they’re in a cage.

Now don’t get me wrong. I am not an animal hater but I’m just trying to understand why drivers allow dogs to sit in their laps.

Oh, maybe I get it. It’s their “Guide Dog”. After all, some of us don’t see as good as we used to.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you dogs should never be sitting on a person's lap while they are driving. You wouldn't do this with a child! So one shouldn't do it with a pet!

As for seatbelts for dogs they do have such things now which you could purchase. Even car seats for the smaller pups. I have no problem with people using those seatbelts for their pets as this would protect a pet from flying around in case of an accident. But sitting on lap to help drive. Of course the way some people drive maybe it's better if their pets do the driving. LOL.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you Bev. It's a very unsafe practice for the driver because it means he/she does not have 100% focus and attention on their driving. IMHO, it's as bad as someone trying to talk on a cell phone and eat their hamburger and fries while trying to drive.

The other issue is that it's unsafe for the dog. We all know what happens to people in an accident who are not wearing seatbelts. I do know of someone who was in a crash and his 2 dogs became projectiles out the open windows. Sadly, they didn't survive.

Yes, there are doggie seatbelts available now.

Thanks,
Peggy

Janis said...

Yeah, actually seat belts for pets have been around for awhile now. If they truly love their pets they will be sure they "buckle up" IMHO! Kids in the drivers seat is another thing that frustrates me.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the world of animal lovers. Unsafe, but very common.

Anonymous said...

I am one of those who's doggie, a little yorkie, Aspen likes to sit on our lap...either hubby or I, when we are driving. We only take her on local drives, and you do get so you just don't even notice she's there. BUT, I did decide finally that it wasn't safe, and since she's small, got her a little dog "car seat" that hangs over the back of the passenger seat, with a way to fasten her to it with a latch on her harness. MUCH safer. And she can see out the window.

I think that many of us Boomers, both woman and men, who have raised children find that a dog fills in that "I need you" spot in your life when the children grow up, they really are like little children. Just can't go overboard "humanizing" them as a vet once told me. They are pets, animals, but we love them!

Hopped over here from your post on Twitter...follow me back sometime, Bev! I try to post to you but am not sure you see them.

Hope you're feeling much better, and have a great weekend.

Claudia

Anonymous said...

Gracie the CUPPIE would never do this! She just posted a response:
http://tinyurl.com/dogblog