Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Where are the Baby Boomers Located

It should come as no surprise that the majority of baby boomers reside in the largest states. According to data recorded by the US Census in 2008, here is how the top states ranked for baby boomers:

California 8,809,263
Texas 5,637,468
NY 5,081,366
Florida 4,647,133
Pennsylvania 3,372,858
Ohio 3,056,377

Meanwhile, according to the AARP, here are the top places for baby boomers to reinvent themselves in retirement:

1) Loveland, Colorado
2) Las Cruces, NM
3) Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
4) Portland, Oregon
5) Greenville, SC
6) Sarasota, FL
7) Ann Arbor, MI
8) Tuscon, AZ
9) Montpelier, VT
10) Honolulu, HI

How many of these cities have you visited and what do you think of them? I've been to Greenville, SC and as a baby boomer I can definitely say it is NOT a place for African-American baby boomers to spend the rest of their lives.

3 comments:

Lynn said...

I'm an Asian American and I wouldn't spend it in Greenville either! But, Honolulu would be awesome!

Pam Archer said...

I've been to Honolulu five times. While it is a spectacular place, for retirement, I would prefer the other side of the island, where things are more serene. Hawaii would be a top choice for me to have a vacation home, but it's too far away from family to retire to.

My daughter and son-in-law lived in Greenville, SC. It is one of my favorite southern cities, but I can see why you would feel the way you do about it.

I am really surprised that Las Vegas and Reno, Nevada aren't on that list. There are many, many retirees there, because of the tax break they get from living there, plus the climate is good for outdoor activities year round.

The more I travel, the more I realize that I live in the best place to retire. :0) My beautiful Appalachia!

Debra Stokes said...

I'm with you, Bev. I've lived in Greenville, SC and while it is a lovely place to visit, it is NOT a place where I would want to retire either.

Somehow I would have expected Charlotte to be on the list. Anyway, thanks for the info.