In case you haven't heard, the baby boomer generation has taken social media by storm. According to a CBS News report, half (47 percent) of internet users aged 50-64 use social media now, an 88 percent growth from the previous year. The number of Facebook users in the U.S. aged 55 and older grew from around 1 million in early 2009 to 10 million in early 2010, according to istrategy.com, a website that tracks Facebook data.
Social Media is having a tremendous impact on just about every aspect of our lives. Check this out:
1.Social Media has overtaken porn as the #1 activity on the Web
2. More than 1.5 million pieces of content (web links, news stories, blog posts, notes, photos, etc.) are shared on Facebook…daily.
3. 1 out of 8 couples married in the U.S. in 2008 year met via social media with baby boomers leading the charge to the altar or Justice of the Peace.
4. 2009 US Department of Education study revealed that on average, online students out performed those receiving face-to-face instruction.
5. 1 in 6 higher education students are enrolled in online curriculum. By getting an online degree baby boomers are discovering they can stay where they are and attend school anywhere they want.
6. Percentage of companies using LinkedIn as a primary tool to find employees….80%
7. The fastest growing segment on Facebook is 55-65 year-old females.
8. Generation Y and Z consider e-mail passé…so if you want to reach out and touch your grandchildren, you better learn how to TEXT MESSAGE.