Monday, September 17, 2007

Let the "Good Times" Roll in Atlanta

Every time I go to a book signing, I always seem to walk away with an experience that I just have to write about.

This past weekend, I went to Atlanta for a book signing, which was part of an event called For Sisters Only. It was, by far, the biggest event I’ve been to at this point in my new career as an author/motivational speaker/entrepreneur.

As I was networking and attempting to sell books from my own little booth space, I noticed a familiar face walk in with a small entourage. It was none other than “Thelma” from Good Times! OK…her real name is Bern Nadette Stanis but everyone---and I mean EVERYONE---knows her as Thelma----the teenage daughter from the 1970s hit sitcom.

I couldn’t help but stare as a crowd gathered around her. She was so poised and so gracious to everyone---not just to the people who purchased her book, Situations 101---she was even nice to the jerks who came up to her trying to flirt.

The 53-year-old actress exemplifies what it means to age gracefully so, of course, I had to invite her to become a member of the Baby Boomer Diva Web of Fame. I have also invited her to be a part of the Baby Boomer Diva Girlfriends Retreat in Daytona Beach next April.

The one question I wanted to ask her was if she had become acquainted with any of the 7 dwarfs of menopause yet. I certainly saw no signs of it or maybe she just knows how to wear menopause well. Bern Nadette reminded me of that 80s song by DeBarge: “You Wear it Well.”



“You just smile, yeah
And walk on through, oh, oh
You’ve got that personality, babe
And it sure looks good on you, yeah

Not the ordinary
Anything wear looks good on you especially
Nothin’ I can tell you
You haven’t already heard a half a million times
But I’d still like to say

You wear it well
You wear it well, you wear it well”

Next month, I’ll be back in Washington, DC. I’m wondering who I’ll meet there.

No comments: