Wednesday, September 05, 2007

An Anorexic Baby Boomer Diva? Never!

I used to be a size 0. That’s when I was a cart-wheeling, straddle-jumping, booty-shaking teenage cheerleader. These days I’m a size “nunya.” What’s that, you ask? It’s better known as the “nunya business---don’t ask me again” figure. It’s a size Ann Taylor needs to pay close attention to if she’s going to seriously market to baby boomer women.

While doing my morning walk/run on the Duke University cross-country trail today, I resigned myself to the fact that some of these extra pounds I’ve packed on over the last 10 years are NEVER going to come off. My doctor told me it is important to keep in mind that this weight gain is normal and to be expected. Studies have shown that about 90% of menopausal women gain some weight between the ages of 35 and 55. But you may not necessarily have to blame yourself for this newly acquired weight - research now shows that weight gain during menopause is caused by shifts in your hormones, not greedy eating.

So you know what? I can accept that fact as long as I feel good about who I am on the inside and I feel great! Furthermore, I do believe it’s alright for a baby boomer diva to have some meat on her bones because it’s how you work what you’re workin’ with that counts!

No comments: