Wednesday, June 10, 2009

You Know You're a Baby Boomer If...(Part II)

You rode in the back of the station wagon and you faced the cars behind you.

Schoolhouse Rock played a HUGE part in how you actually learned the English language.

A predominant color in your childhood photos is plaid.

You remember the Flinstones in Primetime.

You grew up with neighbors you actually knew by first and last name.

You had a rotary dial telephone.

You weren't considered fashionable if you didn't own a pair of black & white saddle shoes or a pair of stride rites.

Good TV reception came with a pair of pliers and a coat hanger.

There was such a thing as penny candy--and you could always stock up.

You remember the oil crisis in 1973--which resulted in the price of oil per barrel to rise from $3.00 to $12.00 (The price of gas was $0.24 in 1957--the year I was born).

If you're still making the hand gestures every time you hear the Y.M.C.A. Song.

You know you're a baby boomer if garters were how you held up your hose. (Thanks to @LeslieLSC from Twitter)

4 comments:

Heidi Caswell said...

Now I remember reading comic books in the back of a friend's family station wagon by the headlights of bumper to bumper traffic after watching a Christmas light show in a neighboring town.

Pam Archer said...

I forgot about the first one. Ha! I love these bits of nostalgia.

I'm an older boomer, so I remember very stiff and very full crinolines under my dress.

Thanks for the memories.

Susan Adcox said...

Interesting post. I am an older boomer (1947) and my daughter is at the other end (1965). Although we're both boomers, we have very different memories. I remember the crinolines, Pam, although we called them petticoats. My daughter wouldn't remember those. My daughter grew up on the Brady Bunch and Schoolhouse Rock. I grew up on the Mickey Mouse Club and the Rifleman.

Martha Giffen said...

You bring back great memories! Love it. . . especially the "back of the station wagon". Those were fun days :)