Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Gym Etiquette for Baby Boomer Women

In my aerobics class today, one of the women broke her beaded bracelet while swinging her arms to the beat of the music. As a result, beads flew all across the floor, creating a possible hazard for anyone who would've stepped on them during our dance step routine. As she proceeded to pick them up she said, "I knew this would happen." I thought to myself, "Then why did you wear it in the first place?"

I am always amazed at the boomer women who come into the Duke Center for Living for a workout. As a fellow boomer, I feel I must've missed the memo on the appropriate attire to wear because I am no where near looking like they do. Nearly every women who comes in has on make-up and is loaded down with very nice jewelry. It's almost as if they're afraid to be seen in public without being made up and they fear robbery if they leave their valuables at home.

I even saw one woman in the locker room actually putting on eyeliner BEFORE she began the aerobics class.

The purpose of going to the gym is to get a good workout so you can increase your endurance and burn some calories. It's not about what you look like going in....but rather what you feel like after the workout.

Besides, makeup and sweat just don't mix.

1 comment:

Debra Stokes said...

I'm with you, Bev. I would not bother to get all gussied up for a workout. But, in their defense, if these ladies are getting a good workout, then they have made a conscious decision to put in that extra effort to look glamorous while doing it. Maybe they're hoping to meet a buff trainer - LOL! For whatever their reason, if that's what's important to them - salute and wish them well!