Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Baby Boomers Rock the Vote!

When I woke up yesterday morning I had every intention of going to the polls to vote. I have always been faithful about voting because as a baby boomer I recall the images of those days when some people were trying to keep my parents from voting---and every relative made it a point to remind us younguns' of the sacrifices that were made on our behalf.

But when I woke up, it was raining. And I don't mean a light drizzle. It was raining cats and dogs. It looked like I had awakened to day #39 of raining 40 days and 40 nights.

I kept saying to myself, "I'll go as soon as the rain lets up." But every time I said it, it seemed to rain harder and harder.

Finally, it was 6pm. I looked outside. It was STILL raining pretty hard. The polls close at 7:30pm so it had to be now or never. But then I thought, "There's probably nobody at the polls anyway. Who in their right mind would come out in this rain? But then there was that little voice inside my head. It sounded alot like my mother's and I ALWAYS OBEY THAT VOICE so I got dressed and drove to my polling place.

Whoa! Much to my surprise, there were cars everywhere! At first I thought it must've been some kind of PTA Night since I was voting at a school. But once I walked inside--I saw the crowd of people---all waiting to vote!

Wow! An off-year election and the baby boomers were out in droves. It didn't seem to matter that it was raining--that's why they make umbrellas. And there were parents out with their kids, who were taking part in a special kids voting.

I wondered what drove them to come out and let their voices be heard. Was it the fact that voters were passionate about the District Attorney's race---which became heated after the Duke LaCrosse scandal? Or were people sick and tired of "business as usual" and wanted to make a clear and concise statement? Was it because we, as baby boomers, are mindful of the future of this country and as the dominate population we have to have a say so in what goes on. After all, it really affects us.

Well, whatever! it was, I was actually happy to stand in a line to wait my turn to vote. I was voter #1011. Now for those of you who live in major metropolitan areas that may not seem like a huge number, but considering the fact I was # 186 in the previous election, that was an awesome showing! My ancestors would be proud.

Reminder: WHO NEEDS OPRAH...when I have YOU to help me take my book, "Whatever! A Baby Boomer's Journey Into Middle Age" to the #1 best Selling Book List!!!

No comments: