Thursday, November 09, 2006

A Murder in Dallas

I was actually going to write about something else today but the death of the brother of a dear friend of mine takes precedent because it causes a moment of reflection in the life of this baby boomer.

My friend Ora called me yesterday from California to tell me the news. Apparently her 47-year-old brother was murdered by a boy he was caring for as a foster parent. It is also alleged that the boy's mother was also involved in the crime. It was a gruesome scene and there is also irony in this story; The reporter covering the story is another friend of mine: Emily Lopez. I think they call this six degrees of separation.

Ora was amazingly calm to me as she gave me the details of her brother's death. She also told me how she asked her brother more than once not to take in any at-risk kids--especially teenagers and those on medication. She was so calm...it was me who was torn up about his death and I didn't even know him.

But knowing Ora, I know beyond a shadow of a doubt, she has the peace of God deep down in her soul. God is comforting her in ways I don't understand. He has lifted her to a place where she can rest assured that her brother will be OK in the arms of Jesus.

This, for me, is a time of reflection. Although life is precious, it can be taken away from you in an instant. As a baby boomer...as one who has stood up for the rights and welfare of at-risk kids..., I now have to question is there any hope for them once they reach a certain age. Have they been damaged so severely by parents and passed from foster parent to foster parent so much that they have the "I don't give a damn!" attitude? These are questions I will ponder for awhile as I grieve with my dear friend and sister in Christ.

No comments: