Friday, August 03, 2007

Can Baby Boomers Find Love More than Once?

Chapter Two of my Book Whatever! A Baby Boomer's Journey Into Middle Age deals with the subject of dating at middle age. I was single when I wrote it but am happy to report that I have since re-married. And guess what? We met online! So I say YES, baby boomers can find love and happiness with a new soul mate.

Here's my excerpt:

"My guy also had to be able to carry on an intelligent conversation about any subject, rock my world in the bedroom, enjoy working out (and have the physique to prove it), and appreciate my knowledge of sports. Because my job required me to make numerous public appearances, I had to insist on being in the company of a man who would make me look even better.

When I discovered none of those eligible bachelors were ready to settle down and I was, I had to switch gears and change strategies for finding a husband. I compare my experience to a shopping trip. I started out in the bargain basement. The men I met were either so cheap or broke that they wouldn’t even meet me halfway on a dutch-treat date.

As I became a more sophisticated shopper, I moved up to what I thought was a better chain. These were the men who would shower me with nice things but always, and I mean ALWAYS, expected something in return. And they didn’t believe in the layaway plan.

Then, bingo! I thought I hit the jackpot when I went upscale.
I thought I had found a true gem, only to discover years later that it was a cubic zirconia—an imitation of the real thing. I was convinced I was in the right department, but I picked out the wrong merchandise.

That was then."

I'm going to be in Baltimore, MD for a book signing and workshop on Saturday, August 18. Hope to see you there!

1 comment:

Carine-what's cooking? said...

Thankgoodness you found such a "wonderful gem"! I actually have 3 girlfriends who have never found anything but zirconias. They are wonderful women, successful and independent, yet, they have never found someone worth sharing their lives with-except their furry beasts. which, there is nothing wrong with-they keep secrets and only expect some cuddling in exchange for complete devotion!