Sunday, May 13, 2007

A Baby Boomer Diva's Look at Mother's Day

This is my 17th year as a mother. I've sure seen a lot of changes over the holiday years. I can recall my first Mother's Day as if it were yesterday. My ex and I were watching a basketball game on TV with our little one on the floor. Without warning, she just rolled over. Now for those of you who are parents, you know the significance of having your child roll over. It's another stage in their development. I was so excited---but my ex seemed to be more excited about the basketball game.

I remember the WORST mother's day present I ever received. It was an iron and a six piece glassware set. I don't know what message my ex though he was sending by giving me that but I certainly never used it to iron his clothes and the glasses ended up getting broken accidentally.

After all of these years, I kept every card my daughter ever gave me. I still have the ceramic ash tray she made for me in pre-school.

This year is the first year I am a mom to someone else's kids. My new husband has two grown children from his first marriage. I didn't expect them to call me to wish me a Happy Mother's day--although it would've been a nice gesture.

This is also the first year I am a grandma--ma---As my daughter is now celebrating her very first Mother's Day.

I hope she will find her own experiences something to remember and to write about.

2 comments:

Carine-what's cooking? said...

my first as a grandma too. Hoping my daughter is keeping a diary about what her experiences are-unless she's as busy as I was just trying to be a mom!
Happy Day!

Angela said...

Got cha beat, Bev. I got a riding lawnmower and a weed eater for Mother's Day years ago.

I wrote some things in our 3 acre yard with the lawnmower...dotted the "i's" and crossed the "t's" with the weed eater. And it didn't say "Happy Mother's Day" either. ;-)